Sunday, April 9, 2017

Unleavened Bread, Blessed & Broken

A-Poem-a-Day Until Resurrection Day

Photo credit: ortfestivities.blogspot.com


EXTRAORDINARY MATZOH

It’s only ordinary unleavened bread
Ordinary matzoh
On an earthen plate
It probably came
From a supermarket shelf
A Manischewitz box
Ordinary matzoh
Blessed for Passover
Oh, but when I take it
And cradle it lovingly
In my hands
Break it and bless it
It is for me
Most Holy Bread
Good Friday Bread
Body of the Lamb that was slain
With my cup of Redemption
Communion Bread
Lechem without hametz
Without yeast of sin
Pierced
Striped
Bruised
Shrouded afikomen
Hidden
Then resurrected
With glory
I partake
Alleluia, alleluia
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!

Maude Carolan


The above poem was published in William W. Francis’ book,
Celebrate the Feasts of the Lord. Crest Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment