Saturday, December 10, 2016

Two Christmas Poems

Due to a problem with the Internet yesterday, I was unable to post.
I am posting two poems today.

A-Poem-a-Day Until Christmas

My Ceramic Nativity Set, made in 1965



SETTING UP THE MANGER SCENE

A few snowflakes drift in wintry air
as I carry the carton down the stairs
and unwrap the antique fragile things—
a manger, some camels and three kings.

I set them on the polished tabletop,
being careful not to chip or drop
them as I do. Sheep and shepherd men
are arranged as entering Bethlehem.

An angel, gilded, with one chipped wing
is affixed above; her place to sing.
There’s a cow and donkey, nibbling straw,
Joseph, kneeling, with a look of awe

and Mary, new at being mother
gazing adoringly at none other
than her swaddled, holy, infant Son…
Jesus, Our Savior, on day one.

As I move each figure, to its place,
I call upon God’s loving grace…
pray each who stand before my manger,
to Jesus, will never be a stranger.

May this heirloom crèche, made long ago
recall the event that sets hearts aglow.
May He be for them, as He’s been for me—

Sweet Love …
for now
and through eternity.


Maude Carolan Pych




WHAT'S THIS I SEE?

What's this I see in a feeding trough?
A lamb asleep in a bed of straw
without any blemish to behold…
The Lamb deserves a crown of gold.

What's this upon crossbeams, I see?
A lamb impaled…sacrificially!
I fall to my knees before His Grace.
The Lamb looks down. I see God's face.

From blood that on the lintels be,
from cradle to cross the Lamb I see.
The whole Word holds a mystery…deep!
The Lamb is slain. We are His sheep.

The Heavens proclaim the newborn Lamb,
only offspring of the great I AM,
Who from that humble bed of straw
became our Savior…
Let's bow in awe!


Maude Carolan



***ANNOUNCEMENT***
Mark your calendar: The next poetry event will take place Saturday, December 17th, 7 p.m., at the ANT Bookstore & Cafe, 345 Clifton Avenue, Clifton, NJ. I will be joined by two poet/friends, Pastor EJ Emerson and Sister Jane Abeln, SMIC. Holiday music will be provided by Victoria Warne, Peter DiBella, Rikki Woods and Lidya Diaz. An open mic period will follow. Come, enjoy the festivities and the Christmas cookies, too! James Gwyn and Victoria Warne host this popular event on the third Saturday evening of each month.















No comments:

Post a Comment