Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Hanukkah & Christmas are Coming Soon

A-Poem-a-Day Until Christmas

Photo credit: contrast2.wordpress.com

ROOTED

I love to see a Star of David on a Christmas tree,
Reminder of our Jewish roots in Christianity...
I love to see a Hanukkiah on a churchyard lawn,
Adjacent to a manger, dimly flickering at dawn;
Am awed by the Paschal Lamb, crucified at Calvary...
Who rose victorious from the dead to set all sinners free!

I hear the Rosh Hoshanna trump forewarning with its cry,
Reminding us the Day of God is surely drawing nigh;
I marvel every Yom Kippur at graciousness of God...
Lavish with his mercy; He spares the chastening rod;
Fervently read Old Testament’s fruition in the New,
With the Messiah’s story interwoven through and through.

In Shabbat tapers I behold Yeshua, Light of World;
Before my very eyes I see God’s prophesies unfurled.
Was blessed to pray at Israel’s Wall and empty Tomb
Of our Hebrew Savior, born of the Virgin’s womb.
At Gethsemane, I have seen an ancient olive tree
And known within my spirit that one grafted branch is me.

I’m born again and spiritually circumcised of heart;
I’m blessed to be a Gentile, who’s become a part
Of Covenant promises sealed by the Blood of God...
I’ll forever praise His Name as I walk this earthly sod.


Maude Carolan


***ANNOUNCEMENT***
Mark your calendar: The next poetry event will take place Saturday, December 17th, 7 p.m., at the ANT Bookstore & Cafe, 345 Clifton Avenue, Clifton, NJ. I will be joined by two poet/friends, Pastor EJ Emerson and Sister Jane Abeln, SMIC. Holiday music will be provided by Victoria Warne, Peter DiBella, Rikki Woods and Lidya Diaz. An open mic period will follow. Come, enjoy the festivities and the Christmas cookies, too! James Gwyn and Victoria Warne host this popular event on the third Saturday evening of each month.

No comments:

Post a Comment