Sunday, January 6, 2013

On The Road to Emmaus




MY EMMAUS

 

When I first found You

or You found me

I thought I'd go

from strength to strength

pinnacle to pinnacle

joy to joy

and so it was for a season

when love was new

 

then the whirlwind came

thrashing through my world

upending all my securities

leaving me stunned, broken, alone

certain I would die

 

so I waited for You to save me

waited for the prayers

pleaded at Your scarred feet

to avail their just reward

for I believed in You

trusted, hoped

Eyes veiled, I couldn't find You

failed to recognize You

along the road

 

Had I believed

in vain?

 

Then You began to speak

not audibly, but

whenever I opened Your Word

Radiance, Glory

Unfailing Love

sprang from the page

and became manifest

My heart blazed!

I began to shine

 

Now, on the other side of sorrow

I dare not forget

my burning heart,

Your Glorious Presence

so I abide, remembering

it is You, my Jesus

Who walks with me

along the road

 

Maude Carolan


This is part three of a three-part poem entitled The Emmaus Triptych. 

No comments:

Post a Comment