Sunday, November 25, 2012

Have You Begun Christmas Shopping Yet?


Maude's Christmas Chapbook
"From My Heart to Yours at Christmas:
Cookies & Poems"

 
CHRISTMAS AT THE MALL
 
Day after Thanksgiving, at the mall, what is this I see…
Santas sledding in the air and a tinseled Christmas tree,
a roly-poly Frosty, red-nosed Rudolph with some elves,
glittery garlands, balls and bows, bedazzling on the shelves?
The shops are alive with music, “White Christmas,” “Jingle Bells;”
there are “ho, ho, hos,” “let it snows” and cinnamon-y smells.
 
It certainly all seems festive, so cheery and so bright,
but what oh what does it have to do with that Holy night?
I cannot find a manger scene, an angel or a star,
I do not see the wisemen…wonder where the shepherds are.
I do not hear a carol or the story of the birth
of Our Savior, Jesus Christ, Who dwelled right here on Earth.
 
Many, it seems, have cast aside the things that matter most.
By replacing them with fairy-tales, The Treasure became lost.
My heart fills up with sorrow, and I feel the need to prod
the waning faith of restless souls who live apart from God.
We all need to remember the virgin and The Child…
Revive, O Lord, the rock of faith that’s been so long exiled.
 
Maude Carolan Pych
 
 
The above poem appears in my 32 page booklet of Christmas poems and luscious cookie recipes that I've been baking for my family and friends for years. It would make a fitting hostess gift or stocking stuffer. To order mail a check made out to Maude Carolan Pych for $7.00 per copy, plus $1.00  p&h for first copy and .50 p&h for each additional copy. Send it to me at P.O. Box 2211, Woodland Park, NJ 07424.
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment