Saturday, October 20, 2012

I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine.



To my husband, Bob, on our 6th anniversary:


DODI LI


"I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine."

Song of Songs 6:3


 

Shirley says

my heart is a thimble

and God's love is the ocean

and He wants to pour all that love

into my little heart

 

I have learned that the Lord

has made my heart

a little like His own

 

that the heart is limitless

in its capacity to love

 

that it may seem

the heart's chambers

are about to burst

…yet there's still room

 

that bodies grow older

…but not our hearts

 

I have learned

that God

is the Restorer of Hearts

The Master of mending

broken ones

 

that although sorrow

may visit us

the heart keeps its rhythm

…hope is not shattered

utterly

 

I grew tired of the Titanic song

weary of Celine's heart going on

and on and on

 

but now I understand

the heart does go on

 

I've also discovered

my heart is undivided

when it professes

Ani le dodi ve dodi li


and speaks of

two bridegrooms

One of my soul…Jesus

and one of my heart…Robert

 

and I believe

one of the best things there is

about knowing God

is that He is Love

 

…that we love

because He first

loved us

 

He just keeps on

filling our thimbles

with inexhaustible oceans

 

so we'll always

always, always

have Love

to give

 

Maude Carolan


 

Happy Anniversary, Bob…I love you!
 
I read this poem to Bob during our wedding ceremony, October 21, 2006.
 
"Dodi le dodi ve dodi li" means "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine."  Our gold wedding bands bear that inscription in Hebrew.

2 comments:

  1. It is an amazing thing.........to be IN LOVE and to BE LOVED! Happy Anniversary to you both Maude! I love you! Love Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love is amazing, Chris! Hugs to you and your great big loving family!!!

    ReplyDelete