Sunday, February 12, 2012

Oh! That the Whole World Would Know Him...

 

I CAN'T MAKE YOU LOVE HIM




I can't make you love Him if you don't

can't strike a match

to cause your heart to blaze

at the mention of His Name

can't cause you to tremble

as I tremble

before His holiness

can't jumpstart love

from the outside in

It only happens from the inside out



No matter how much I love you



loving Him

is not something you can get from me

like a cup of mulled cider or a hug

not something you can inherit

like good genes, strong teeth or curly hair

not something I can demonstrate

like how to knead dough or rhyme couplets

nor is it something I can gift-wrap

tie with a crimson ribbon

and give you to make you happy



No, all I can do is tell the old, old story

about His beauty, as I perceive it

His mercy, as I've experienced it

His wonders and His love

All I can do is hope, pray

and wait



Truth will not impose

Truth waits to be sought

Answers wait for age-old questions

The Door waits for your knock



When He opens

you'll find He's been expecting you

already loving you



No, I can't make it easy, although it can be

I embarked on my quest; you'll embark on yours

No, I can't make you love Him if you don't

but should your quest lead you to His heart

I'll be waiting, like The One inside The Door

to dance in the glow of His grandeur with you



Maude Carolan

No comments:

Post a Comment